Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment

Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment
Serving in God's Army

12/16/2013

16 December 2013 - My Week

   My week was super full. Sunday Elder Gubler left to go pick up his mother at the airport and I stayed in a threesome with two other elders that I live with. Tuesday I went to Maceio to pick up my new companion,. I was almost 100% sure that my new companion would be a missionary that has been an ZL for about six months and has never passed through this Area. And I knew that I would be ZL-B because I've only been a ZL for two transfers. But when we got to the meeting I found out that I wasn't going to be with that one Elder. I would be with Elder Bispo (bishop) and I would be ZL-A. I can't describe to you the stress that fell on my shoulders when I realized the responsibility that I was given. I am in charge of about 20 missionaries and after the transfers I had to help them get to each of their areas...which is rather difficult because all the missionaries go to different areas and they take different buses. They don't have cell phones and don't have a clue where they are going. Yeah stressful, but everyone made it home safe and no one had to sleep on the street, haha.
   I started off this week being really, really stressed. I felt as if my eyes were closed for the two transfers that I was here in this area and I felt like I knew nothing. I needed new people to teach. I needed them really bad. There was a time that I was brought to my knees and pleaded for help from my Heavenly Father. I needed him so badly. I asked for new people to teach. And it wasn't within 10 minutes that he gave us someone to teach, someone who was prepared, willing, open, and excited. I know that God hears and answers prayers and my testimony was strengthen even more this week because of this experience.
   My companion is a great guy. He is from Brazil, up north. He teaches so well and is so willing to work hard. Love the guy. We work really well together.
   This past week we had a district conference, where three branches came to our chapel to hear talks about the salvation of souls. And when I got there the district president came up to me and said that I would be the first speaker and would talk for 15 minutes. I explained that I wasn't advised about it but I was still going to do it. He told me that my topic was on how to talk to people about the gospel or how to invite people to church, basically opening your mouth which was an easy topic for a missionary. It went really well and I involved the audience. I was super nervous but everything went well and the president said that it was excellent, exactly what he wanted.
   Elder Gubler and his mother passed by here to say goodbye to a few people and to show his mom all his areas, and she doesn't speak.
   I am so thankful to be on my mission. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Elder Ralph