Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment

Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment
Serving in God's Army

5/13/2013

13 May 2013 - Feliz Dia Das Mães‏

   No I don't dream in Portuguese, matter of fact I don't even remember the last time I dreamed, I sleep like a rock caused I get home completely wasted, haha.
   This Sunday I gave another talk in sacrament meeting. I Love Talking, haha.
   This week me and my companion spent a great deal of our time running after our investigators who are due to be baptized this week. One of them is a mother of a young girl who was baptized about a month ago. Her doubt is only in herself. She feels that SHE isn't ready to be baptized. She is reading the Book of Mormon and believes that its true, she knows that she needs to be baptized but has fear ( I think) about the future, that she will commit sin or do something wrong. I don't know she's a complicated lady, haha, but I love her to death. She's so funny! The other day she put down sticky tape that is used to catch mice and cockroaches, when they walk across it they get stuck. She caught 8 little rats in her house and caught two while we were teaching her. The way that she reacted was SO funny. She was like HAHA I got you little bugger! Hilarious. She knows what she needs to do, and this week we're going to be very firm with her.
   Last Sunday we were trying to find where a certain person lived when a man came up to us and said, everything we need to know is in the Bible. We ended up going to his house and teaching him. He has a number of problems with the Word of Wisdom but he wants to change and wants to be baptized. We've been teaching him pretty slowly and have been making goals for him to stop drinking and smoking. So far he has stopped drinking but smoking is hard for him. This Sunday when we walked into the Sacrament Meeting room he was there sitting on the bench alone.... He arrived before we did! I honestly didn't think he would come! Cause he lives super far from the church.
   This reminds me of something that my companion is helping me with, to not judge people. I've noticed this past week that I tend to judge before I really know. This man showed that that is really true. I need to have more faith in people, have more hope that they will complete commitments and really change.
   I'm learning a lot. I'm learning things about myself, how I need to change and better myself. I'm learning more about the gospel of Christ, how it's perfect and how it is a blessing in our lives.
   I'm so happy that I have the opportunity to serve. I know that what I'm doing is right.

ELDER RALPH