Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment

Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment
Serving in God's Army

5/27/2014

26 May 2014 - HEY!

    Hello my dearest family and friends. This week was full of little great experiences, miracles and moments of learning. One of our recent converts who is probably the “youngest in heart” ladies I have ever met in my life was at a Ward activity at a member's house. There wasn't any more room inside so we sat outside talking with her about life, family, and all that was new. She said that she talked with a friend who is a less active member of the church and the friend told her that she left the church when she heard that we can one day become Gods. The recent convert told her that she probably understood wrong or the person who was teaching didn't know what they were talking about because she hasn't heard anything about this teaching. Silence.... haha I then had the pleasure to explain to her about this doctrine that was restored during the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ. It was something that I had never explained once in my whole mission. But it seemed as if it was something that I taught every day. Scriptures, examples, explanations and questions came so quickly to my mind. The spirit, in that critical moment of the spiritual progress of that member, helped us to teach with power and conviction something that was never trained into us or rehearsed beforehand. The spirit really does guide us as we teach the gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Something really special that happened this week was to see one of our recent converts give a talk in Sacrament meeting about obedience. He did a great job. I asked him afterwards how he felt and he said “I feel great!” and I asked, “do you wanna do it again?” and he shook his head "no."
    This week I will admit that I had a slip with patience. It was during the Ward council meeting. We were instructed by the stake presidency that we need to have Ward council every Sunday for half an hour and that we would talk about the progress of our investigators and our recent converts and less actives. The presidency passed a great training about what we should do and what we should say. So we got together with our Ward mission leader and filled out all the records and the whole deal. But when we got to the meeting it seemed like no one was paying attention to the stake presidency. They started talking about the same old problems that the branch is having, cleaning the church and few people singing. I got really tense and I wanted to say something really bad. I was able to control myself until one of the members started complaining to the president about something that he did and everyone was arguing about random stuff. That's when I lost it and I raised my hand and got the attention of every one and told them what the purpose of the meeting was and how they were not doing their part. I said a few things that I don't remember anymore. But my heart was pounding. The president said a few more things and then turned the time over to our Ward mission leader. He said, “you have 8 minutes to talk about missionary work”.... I wanted to get up and leave. Eight minutes. Eight minutes to talk about the salvation of God's Children. Eight minutes to talk about those who are coming to know the true gospel of Christ. Eight minutes to talk about those who have let go of the iron rod. Eight minutes to talk about the progress of those who have entered in the straight and narrow path. I was so mad. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Nothing depresses a missionary than to know that those who he has helped enter into the fold of God WON'T be nourished by the good word. We got a lot of work to do....

ELDER RALPH

    PS We were almost robbed this week. But we have a friend who is a security guard.
I love being a missionary. There is nothing better! Love you guys so much Keep it real.