Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment

Maceio Brazil Mission Assignment
Serving in God's Army

8/12/2013

12 August 2013 - Semana de Loucuro‏ (Crazy Week)

   This week was insane! I've never been so tired on my mission. Last night I said a 45 minute prayer because I fell asleep! Let's get started here. Monday the secretaries called us and told us that the President wanted us to go to the Stake Center on Tuesday to help with a Humanitarian Aid project that they were just putting on for doctors and nurses. Thought of you, mom.
   So we had to get up at 5:30 AM to go to the Stake Center by 6;30 AM. We got there and went straight to work. They asked my companion and me to go there because we were American and they had some American missionaries that didn't speak Portuguese who needed our help. Basically what we did was, guide all the nurses to where they needed to go, hand out tests, collect tests, grade tests, hand out more tests, correct more tests, answer questions, and a bunch of little stuff. And it was super tiring. We destroyed the work. Everyone was calling us "machines"! We did such a good job that the humanitarian workers called the secretaries and asked for us to come back and help them the next day.
   And sure enough when we called the secretaries they asked us to come back. Wednesday was a crazy day. We had over 135 nurses and doctors at the church AND the bummer of it all was that we were not allowed to proselyte unless someone asked us. And boy did they ask. We brought a whole box of Books of Mormon and they ate them up SO fast. We saw ladies taking three copies home. It was great. One cool part about working there is that we go to work with a man who is the translator for the prophets and apostles! He just casually said! oh I was talking to Henry B. Eyring the other day and he said this"....", it was great. He liked us so much that he took us out to dinner Wednesday night. It was an awesome two days.
   Thursday was our only normal day for work. We then come to Friday and my companion had to go to the mission office to renew his visa. So I stayed in the mission office all day putting in baptismal forms into the church system. Super Fun. I hope I messed up or did something wrong so I won't be called as a secretary, haha.
    Friday night we were able to get a little work done in our actual area. Then came Saturday. Saturday we got up at 4:30 AM to marry a couple that we have been teaching. We got up and a member took us to a college where they were doing marriages for free. It was weird but super cool. It was the first time I've married someone on my mission. Basically my companion's job was photographer and my job was babysitter. The couple had an 8 month old baby that loves me haha, so I played with him. The process took forever but the marriage ceremony finally arrived. The judge called out to the whole group. "Men will you take these women to be your lawfully wedded wife" and they all yelled "YES" and he did the same thing for the women. And then everyone started going at it, kissing like they've never kissed before. Yeah, talk about trunkyness, haha. I just looked at my companion and he looked back and we just started laughing. And to top all the hard work off with a cherry, the couple came to church yesterday. :-) All that hard work paid off, all those lots hours of lack of sleep paid off. :-)
   And while we were at the humanitarian aid project we were on TV. :-)
  
I LOVE MY MISSION, I LOVE SERVING MY FATHER IN HEAVEN. :-)